DEPARTMENT OF OPTOMETRY
The department of optometry offers courses leading to the award of degree of Doctor of Optometry (OD). Admission is by the University matriculation examination and it is a Six-Year degree Programme.
Optometry as an academic program has a philosophy, which embraces teaching , research and publics service. Optometry as an eye care profession has a philosophy of production of skilled manpower for the provision of eye care services. These services are presently underdeveloped in the country as compared to other related health services , which is due mainly to inadequate skilled-manpower; the programme addresses this national problems
1. To train an Optometry doctor to have a sound knowledge of Optometry, its ethics and practices.
2. To produce optometry doctors that would provide primary eye care services to the populace and make referrals where indicated as provided in decree 34 of 1989.
3. To produce optometrists that are academic oriented and cold initiate research and make advances in the profession.
Admission into the Optometry programme is given by the University matriculation examination (ume). Candidate must have five O’level credit passes in English language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
INTER UNIVERSITY TRANSFER
1. Students seeking Transfer to department of Optometry Imo State University must have met the above admission requirement.
2. To be eligible for transfer, students must come from the basic sciences or Optometry.
3. Transfer student shall spend a minimum of three academics sessions before graduation.
4. A transfer student shall normally register for and be examined in all courses, which he/she did not take or pass in his/her former University.
5. Student on transfer must have achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50 on five-point scale.
1. Student seeking transfer to the department of optometry must have met the minimum departmental requirements.
2. To be eligible for transfer, student must come from the basic sciences.
3. Such student must have achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50 on five-point scale.
4. The transfer student shall normally register for and be examined in all courses, which he/she did not take or pass in his /her former department.