Updated on June, 26th, 2015
Science Direct Database in Information Search
Science Direct is a website operated by the Anglo Dutch publisher Elsevier. It was launched in March 1997. It is a platform for access to nearly 2,500 academic journals and over 26,000 e-books. They journals are grouped into four main sections: Physical Science and Engineering, Life Science, health Science, Social Sciences and Humanities. For most article abstracts are freely available; access to the full text (in PDF and, for newer publications, also HTML) generally requires a subscription or pay- per-view purchase.
Science Direct is a home for to almost one-quarter of the worlds peer reviewed full text scientific, technical and medical content. Over 15 million researchers, healthcare professionals, teachers, students and information professionals around the globe rely on Science Direct as a trusted source of over 2,500 journals and more than 33,000 books.
Science Direct supports research and education with interactive elements in articles such as audio, video, graphs, tables and images, and offers tools so that users can keep current with research trends. Content on Science Direct also features links to external earths and environmental science data from PANGAEA, abstract and indexing data from SCOPUS, and chemical reactions data from Reaxys. With over 13 million content pieces available, including pre-publication articles and open access content from Elsevier journals and the society partners, is a premier platform for discovering the world of research.
Who uses Science Direct?
- Researchers, Teachers and Students.
- Librarians and Information Professionals
- Corporate Researchers.
Researchers, Teachers and Students
The works of researchers, teachers and students matter a lot, and they need resources that are efficient and effective. Science Direct features sophisticated search and retrieval tools, as well as content integrated from a variety of external sources, to help them go beyond search so they can focus on their research, teaching and studies.
These sophisticated search and retrieval tools are:
- Read content your way in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enhance understanding with audio, video and supplementary materials submitted by authors.
- Connect directly to contextual information embedded in full text articles, NextBio, PANGAE, SCOPUS and Reaxys.
- Get advanced access to peer-reviewed articles accepted for publication through articles in press.
- Dynamic reference needs links lead from bibliographic references to abstracts or the full text of cited articles.
- Find graphs, tables, videos and photos by using the dedicated image search.
- Save time by personalizing features that save, edit, re-run and combine searches.
- Stay current with new content on Science Direct by signing up to receive Alerts and RSS feeds.
- Organize your research, create bibliographies, find relevant papers, and collaborate with other online and more with Mendeley-up to 4GB storage space.
Librarians AND Information Professionals
Patrons depend on Librarians and Informational professionals to provide them with the most current trusted resources available. Whether your library serves academic institution, research institute, government agency, hospital or research development business, you can feel very confident that Science Direct will meet and indeed exceed, your patrons' expectations. The Science Direct supports Librarians and Information professionals with tools, reports, training materials and more.
Service tools Science Direct provides for Librarians and Information professionals include:
- Easily manage your accounting settings and user IDs, grant remote access to users and add a logo or an image with the admin Tool.
- Understand user behavior and improve collection management decisions with usage reports.
- Manage the details of your library's subscriptions with Electronic holdings Reports.
- Receive Title Alerts about new, changed transferred and discontinued titles.
- Take advantage of flexible subscription and purchase models, from single journal article to annual subscriptions, to book collections and title-by-title options.
Other additional services and tools Science and tools Science Direct provide are MyElservier.com which makes managing collections and renewing subscriptions easier than ever; Promoting Science Direct Toolkit which helps in promoting Science Direct to the Library community; and Elsevier's Free Library connect Newsletters which keeps Librarians and Information professionals connected with information industry best practices best practices, issues, trends and events, as well as Elsevier product and service news.
To succeed in a corporate lab, you need to deliver innovative technologies ahead of the competition. To help you look Science Direct, an information solution that empowers corporate researchers with the tools and content required to drive better research decisions efficiently and effectively. Corporate researchers with the tools and content required to drive better research decisions efficiently and effectively.
Corporate researchers can use Science Direct to:
- Validate state-of-the-art technologies, and experimental technique and methods
- Evaluate the technology landscape and determine innovative novelty required for bringing competitive products to market.
- Inspire creative outcomes to research and developments happening across scientific and technical disciplines.
Science Direct supports your research efforts by enabling you to:
- Discover more relevant insights - Research available on Science Direct undergoes a rigorous peer - review process to ensure that the information you find is trustworthy and meets accepted industry standards for research quality. You will spend time by reading only the authoritative research you need to make scientific decisions that impact your business.
- Uncover new technologies regardless of discipline - Science Direct provides researchers with unraveled breath of information across 24 major disciplines you can feel confident that you are reducing the risk of overlooking key insights. Whether you are looking for new technologies to apply within your own scientific discipline or you want to understand the prior art landscape before submitting a patent application, Science Direct can help you to increase your understanding of the current technology landscape.
- Help you quickly find the information you need - Science Direct offers researchers the tool required to improve their productivity and competitiveness within their fields. They will be able to easily refine and focus their search queries, stay alerted when important information becomes available, and get additional recommended alternative research that can help better manage their information discovery.
Cajetan Onyeneke, Coordinator, E-library Services (IMSU).
| Copyright IMSUICT 2014 |