DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL LABORATORY
The Medical Laboratory Science Department offer leading to the award of bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS) Honors degree. Mode of admission is by UME and by Direct entry. Candidates admitted through UME shall do a 5year programme while Direct Entry candidates shall do a 4year programme.
PREAMBLE: In all forms of Medicare, diagnosis guarantees proceeds disease management. In other words, effective cure and management of ill-health and infectious disease depend on proper diagnosis.
Aiding proper diagnosis through identification of etiologic agents of infectious disease; determined of the causes of other disease conditions through laboratory analysis of biological fluids and samples, which help in disease management, constitute the domain of wee-trained and qualified Medical Laboratory Scientists.
Therefore, the philosophy is:
1. To conduct and organize courses with sound academic and professional background leading to the award of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (B.MLS) degree.
2. To produce Medical Laboratory Scientists capable of working anywhere in Nigeria who will also satisfy international recognizable standards, and undertake further training towards specialization.
3. To conduct and organize courses designed to produce Medical Scientist with managerial and sufficient skill for training and general practice of Laboratory Medicine.
1. To produce Medical Laboratory Scientist with sound knowledge of theoretical and practical skills for work in such areas as clinical diagnostic services, food beverages and pharmaceutical industries, utility departments e.g. water cooperation, in academics and quality assurance.
2. To produce Medical Laboratory Scientists who satisfy international accepted standards and who can 7undetake further training and specialization.
3. To produce Medical Laboratory Scientists with interest in production of biological and diagnostic reagents as well as fabricated of Laboratory equipment.
Candidates seeking admission into B.MLS degree through this mode of admission shall posses a senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC) or its equivalent with credit I physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and English language at ONE sitting with a relevant pass in the University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
Candidates for direct admission, in addition to satisfying the minimum entry requirements through JAMB, shall posses any of the following:
I. B.SC Degrees or higher National Diploma (HND) in Bio- chemistry, Microbiology or other related courses.
II. A pass in General Certificate of Education at advanced level in physics, chemistry and Biology ( or zoology) with a minimum of five (5) credits as in UME mode of admission.