The Department of Mathematics offers courses that lead to the award of degree in Bachelor of Science, B.Sc, in Mathematics. Admission is by Entrance Examination (UTME) or Direct Entry for candidates who possess relevant “A” level papers or equivalents. Candidates admitted through U.T.M.E do a four year degree programme whie those admitted by Direct entry do a 3 year programme.
The vision of the Department is to produce quality and dependable mathematicians that are not only employable but also are capable of applying the discipline in many fields of human endeavours. Furthermore, such graduates should, after their training, be able to carry out researches for the development of not only the discipline but also other disciplines such as social and management sciences, business and Engineering amongst others, for the benefit of the nation.
Our philosophy is to support the academic vision of the Faculty of Science and Imo State University as well as those of National University Commission (NUC). By so doing, we commit ourselves to delivering to our students both qualitative and quantitative educational experiences which they can hold on to.
In any constructive human planning, education inclusive, levels must relate to population distribution and trend. Of particular importance are the annual rate of population growth and decay, size of population and probably the size of the labour absorptive capacity of the population. The question that could be asked is what educational tool or venture could be evolved to tackle the problems posed by the above. Mathematics is the bedrock of all science disciplines, technological developments and therefore of national growth and maturity with attendant contribution to human welfare, health, progress, integrity and identity. It is our belief that mathematics is what is needed to address all these problems.
The mathematics degree programme of the Department has the following aims and objectives:
• To instil in students a sense of enthusiasm for mathematics, an appreciation of its applications in different areas and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience and studying.
• To provide students with broad and balanced foundation in mathematics knowledge and practical skills in computer science, physics and statistics.
• To develop in students the ability to apply their mathematics knowledge and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical problems in mathematics.
• To develop in students through an education in mathematics, a range of transferrable skills of value in mathematical/non-mathematical related employment.
• To provide students with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies, specialized areas of mathematics or multi-disciplinary areas involving mathematics.
• To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of mathematics in an industrial, economic, environmental and social contexts.
The entry requirements shall be at least five credit passes in subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Physics to form the core subjects and a credit pass in any other two relevant science subjects at the senior secondary school certificate or its equivalent.
Holders of NCE, HND or two Advanced Level Passes (with A – E) in Mathematics, Physics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry or Statistics are eligible to apply. Candidates with NCE/HND should score at least MERIT in Mathematics. In addition they must possess credits in the three core subjects mentioned in section (1) above at the O/Level. Candidates admitted through Direct Entry may undertake the three year degree programme into 200 – Level.